Virtual Cloud Network (VCN) is a virtual network in which you can create subnets, route tables and gateways for your compute instances the same way you do in your traditional network. This makes it easy to copy the topology of your network to the OCI.
There are two options for creating VCN in OCI:
- Create Virtual Cloud Network only: Creates a Virtual Cloud Network only. You’ll still need to set up at least one subnet, gateway and route rule to have a working Virtual Cloud Network.
- Create Virtual Cloud Network plus related resources: Automatically sets up a Virtual Cloud Network with access to the internet. You can set up firewall rules and Security Lists to control ingress and egress traffic to your Instances. All related resources will be created in the same Compartment as the VCN.
In this article, we will use the fastest way: Create Virtual Cloud Network plus related resources.
To create a new VCN, on the main menu click Networking, then select Virtual Cloud Networks.
Click Create Virtual Cloud Network.
In the Create Virtual Cloud Network dialog box use the information below and click Create Virtual Cloud Network:
- Compartment: mycompartment1
- Name: myvcn1
- Create Virtual Cloud Network plus related resources: Selected
- Use DNS hostnames in this VCN: Selected
In the Confirmation Page, click Close.
Now we have our first VCN!
Note that our VCN was created with:
- Subnets: They are a logical subdivisions of the VCN and they contain virtual network interface cards (VNICs), which attach to instances.
- Route Tables: They have rules to route traffic from subnets to destinations outside the VCN by way of gateways or specially configured instances.
- Internet Gateways: Virtual router for direct internet access.
- Security Lists: They have ingress and egress rules that specify the types of traffic (protocol and port) allowed in and out of the instances.
- DHCP Options: Configuration information that is automatically provided to the instances when they boot up.
In this article, you learned how to create a new Virtual Cloud Network.
Have a good time!